Pre-Law in the CASA
Pre-Law Mission and Goals
Georgia State University’s CASA provides centralized pre-law programming that complements department-based efforts in order to ignite serious interest in legal careers, support undergraduate experiences in pathways toward law school, and sustain assistance for students and alumni transitioning to and through law school.
Three main goals drive this pre-law programming: 1) help students discover whether the study and practice of law are a good fit for their academic, professional, and personal goals; 2) provide pre-law mentoring and opportunities that hone interests and keeps students on track toward successful law school bids and progressions; and 3) maintain a legal internship program through local and regional firms.
Sample Pre-Law Opportunities
Get Yourself Recruited Into Pre-Law Programming
- Early ID: Be sure to take your first-year survey and get to know your course instructors
- Ask CASA Leaders about the Herrmann Brain Dominance Instrument for self-assessment and debriefing on thinking styles etc.
- Stay up to date with our CASA calendar of events – practice area panels, attorney shadowing, alumni “like-me” features, and workshops on faculty relationships, applications, finance, etc.
Find Your Mentors
- Schedule appointments with CASA leaders to talk about your goals and set your timelines
- Seek advice on the LSAT and prep programs
- Build your mentoring team with faculty, staff, and other professionals who bring different perspectives
- Check-in at the CASA every week and make it your home
- Join Georgia State pre-law clubs and societies
- Look for community partnerships that offer internships at local or regional law firms
Law School Facts & Figures
- Pre-Law Club: 75 members
- Mock Trial Team: 25 members
- Top 5 Pre-Law Majors (in order for 2008 grads; Pol Sci, Criminal Justice, History, Philosophy, BIS in Law & Society)
- 211 applicants to law school (2015-2016) with average GPA: 3.18, LSAT: 148; but the median GSU law school incoming student GPA: 3.41, LSAT: 158